This recipe is a marvel of simplicity. The sauce is basically three ingredients — lemon, butter and cheese, plus seasoning and pasta. Voilà.
Most any pasta shape will work. Although I prefer fresh pasta with this recipe as I find it better absorbs the starchy pasta water and lemon juice. I used potato gnocchi as I had some in my fridge.
The pistachios are also just for flare. You could certainly do without.
Pasta with lemon and butter and pistachios
- 1 or 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Salt and Black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- A handful of chopped pistachios
- Pasta (I used gnocchi but almost any pasta will work. I especially like it with fresh pasta. Use about 125 grams per person.)
- Add the lemon juice to the water you will cook the pasta in.
- Cook the pasta.
- When the pasta is almost done cooking, melt the butter in a skillet with the lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
- When the butter starts to foam, add the cooked pasta and toss.
- Add a handful of grated parmesan and toss over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Plate and top with more parmesan, black pepper, and the pistachios.