Serves 4 people
- 2 to 4 lemons
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound of pasta – Most shapes will work. I often like long flat shapes such as linguine, fettuccine, or
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Around 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and black pepper
- Zest lemons. Be careful to avoid the bitter white pith.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil and add the juice from the lemons. When the water boils, add a handful of coarse salt and cook the pasta.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter with the lemon zest in a skillet that is large enough to hold the pasta. The butter should foam, but not change color. Add a pinch of fine salt, but not too much as the cheese is salty.
- When the butter and lemon zest is foaming, drain and add the cooked pasta along with some of the pasta water.
- Add the grated parmesan and toss together over medium-high heat. Add more pasta water if necessary.
- Cook over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds while tossing until it becomes creamy.
- Plate and top with more grated parmesan cheese and black pepper.